Baltic amber is a hardened conifer tree resin that’s been fossilized over time (up to 50 million years to be exact!). Ah, the beauty of nature. You may have heard that Baltic amber had many benefits including acting as an analgesic (pain killer) for humans, especially babies. Is that true? Well, keep reading to find out!
What is Baltic Amber?
Baltic amber is fossilized tree resin that is often confused with a mineral. But because of its 100% natural properties, it isn’t! Resin is tree sap that seeps under its bark to shield the tree from insect or storm damage.
The trees that finally made the amber had an excess of resin for unidentified reasons (we aren’t complaining!). This might have been the result of an abrupt climate change, or it might have been nature's way of repairing damage by storms, lightning, pests, and illnesses.
In either case, it is thought that the resin fell to the forest floor, lodged itself in the regional sediments, and was then compacted by the deposits above it.
You can find Baltic amber mainly from around the shores of the Baltic sea, from today's:
- Lithuania 🇱🇹 (my home country)
- Latvia 🇱🇻
- Estonia 🇪🇪
- Poland 🇵🇱
- Russia (Kaliningrad) 🇷🇺
- Germany 🇩🇪
- Denmark 🇩🇰
- Sweden 🇸🇪
Essentially, Baltic amber is a gemstone that you can find in many shapes and forms. From amber teething necklaces to candles - the Baltic amber Benefits are really one-of-a-kind.
Baltic Amber Benefits
Amber keeps its chemical makeup with succinic acid through fossilizing. Organic tissue contains succinic acid, a non-toxic chemical. It is also known as "amber acid," mostly because Baltic amber is the only variety of amber having a surface concentration of up to 8% of it.
Amber has been used for centuries to prevent disease and even to rekindle energy through burning. Additionally, studies conducted by scientists at the RAS Institute of Pharmacology at the Tomsk Scientific Center, including Dr. Veniamin Khazanov, demonstrate the importance of succinic acid, particularly for the elderly. They claim that it restores the energy balance in the cellular system, which is typically disrupted with aging, and helps the patient regain their youthful energy.
Known to have pain-relieving properties, amber jewelry includes necklaces and bracelets. The most popular use of Baltic amber is for teething babies. It usually comes in the form of amber teething necklaces, bracelets, or anklets. Since it works similar to a natural pain reliever, a baby may stop being fussy in no time. Wearing it can help babies fight evil teething pains, lack of sleep, and irritability.
Also, amber jewelry is so cute! Just check out these amber teething necklaces below 😍
In summary, baltic amber benefits may include:
- Relief from pain and inflammation
- Supports your immune system
- Keeps your anxiety and stress levels low
- Supports your throat and thyroid gland
- Decreases anxiety and stress
- Increases cellular respiration
- Relieving teeth and colic pains
- Cleanses your body energy
Can Baltic Amber Help With Teething?
Yes! Babies going through teething can get relief from wearing a baltic amber teething necklace if worn correctly. It’s very important to read all safety instructions when putting an amber necklace for teething on your baby.
Remember to look at sizing, safety features, and requirements. Here’s a closer look:
The typical length of a baby amber teething necklace is about 12.5 in (32 cm), which according to most owners is the ideal length. Most babies and toddlers between the ages of 3 months and 6 years can wear it.
Amber is not intended to be chewed on, therefore it shouldn't be too loose that the baby can easily lift up the necklace into their mouth. But it also shouldn't be too tight that it would be unpleasant. It's also a good idea to keep in mind that the amber necklace will lengthen with overtime as the thread can get longer when pulling it.
Before buying a necklace, I recommend measuring your child’s neck. Take a piece of string or ribbon and wrap it around lightly on their neck. Make sure to leave only space equal to two of your fingers between the string and their neck. This will help you decide if 12.5 inches would be a good fit for your baby.
When buying an amber necklace, ensure that the buyer is reliable and won’t sell you plastic. Here are some tips for determining a trustworthy seller:
- They give you a certificate of authenticity showing they use 100% real Baltic amber.
- Each bead on the necklace is separated by a double knot to keep the bead from falling out.
- The beads are no bigger than 4-7mm.
- They have a plastic screw clasp that, in case of pulling, will easily break off to prevent any danger.
Take a look at the infographic below to see these in more detail.
The fundamental rule is that children wearing amber necklaces must never be left unsupervised and must never wear the jewelry while dozing off or taking a nap, even briefly. It's also crucial to reiterate that necklaces are intended to be worn, not chewed, as many parents could have this misconception.
However, as with anything we have or use around our little ones, care should always be given. In general, amber teething necklaces from reputable merchants are safe to use on babies. This will guarantee that the jewelry is worn appropriately.
Baltic Amber Necklace for Adults
Adults can significantly benefit from wearing amber jewelry. We [adults] also suffer from pains and inflammations. Take a look at these Baltic amber health benefits for adults:
- It's even advised that pregnant women wear amber. Its relaxing abilities help regain perfect harmony with your body and your future baby.
- Spiritually, Amber has strong connections with the earth. It’s a powerful healer and cleanser that drives away diseases from the body. It also favors the revitalization of tissues and absorbs negative energies. Later, transform them into positive forces that stimulate body self-healing.
- Psychologically, Amber brings stability to life. It can create motivation by linking the object of desire with the drive to achieve it. Its warm and bright energies translate into a spontaneous and solar attitude.
- Mentally, Amber stimulates the intellect. Many people have used it to clear depression and promote a positive state of mind. It provides balance and patience and favors decision-making, being an aid to memory.
- Emotionally, amber promotes peace and develops trust.
Where to Buy Real Baltic Amber?
Trusted by thousands of mamas, papas, and babies around the world, you can check my Amber Guru teething necklaces below. Choose from 8 different colors, get free and fast shipping in the US, certificate of authenticity, and detailed instructions inside of your necklace box! Also, see what others are saying about my Baltic amber necklaces here 👉 "Reviews" about Amber Guru amber teething necklaces for babies.
What Are Your Thoughts on the "Gold of Lithuania"?
The history of Baltic amber is almost as colorful as the stone itself. It looks great on children and adults and the many health benefits are also incredible. Have you ever heard about Baltic amber before? Tell me about your experiences in the comments below! I'd love to hear them.
Thank you for reading!